Doug Mirabelli & the Red Sox are reportedly close to a deal to bring the backup catcher/Tim Wakefield personal binky/security blanket back for another year. (this is all pending a physical - which I'm sure he'll pass provided he has laid off the Krispy Kremes in the off season)So yea, this makes me happy. Why? Because there was crap on the free agent market as far as catching goes and the guy is even taking a pay cut to stay here. He will be getting $550K with incentives, down from the $750 he made last year. It never hurts to save a bit of money on a guy, right?
Now, I am not blind to Mirabelli's offensive shortcomings. He was pretty much a guaranteed out last season. His stats are not great, for sure: 114 AB's, .202 avg, 23 hits, 16 RBI's & 5 HRs. Not too stellar when he's playing every 5th game for you. Also, Mirabelli was plagued by some wacky injuries like the strained calf muscle he got from just running the bases.
But, in 2007, Tim Wakefield had his one of his best seasons with 17 wins - and for most of those games, it was none other than Dougie Fresh back there, calling the game.
And lets be frank here: no one else in a Sox uniform has caught Wakefield more consistently or effectively than Mirabelli. Plus, Wake feels more comfortable with his guy behind the dish. Wake has admitted that because of the nature of the knuckler, most of the time when he releases the ball he has no idea where it's going to end up. Um, come again? So Mirabelli is back there apparently doing his best to estimate where his glove/body should be positioned to cut down on the number of passed balls and potential runs scored. Makes me think of Forrest Gump and his box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get.
Let's hearken back to early 2006 and the "Josh Bard Experiment". Otherwise known as "Don't mind me while I spend the whole night running to the backstop to retrieve the ball I failed to catch...AGAIN" Yea, that went over like a lead balloon; like a fart in church, if you will - you were there.. you get the picture. Thankfully, that ended mercifully with Mirabelli making a superhero-esqe, State police escorted, grand entrance back into the Red Sox fray vs. the Yankees. (yes, we here get quite excited about our backup catchers - ONLY in BOSTON, folks)
This season, while Mirabelli was injured. we had the "Kevin Cash Experiment" which actually went rather well once he got the hang of it. But Cash did not take too kindly to being optioned to Triple A Pawtucket at the end of the 2007 season, he is however a non roster invitee to spring training. If the Sox are going with Mirabelli, and since there's no room on the roster for 3 catchers, I can't imagine Cash will be sticking around for the 2008 season.
So I hate to even say these words.. but Jason Varitek can't go on catching forever. (did I just hear a collective SCREAM from the Pink Hat crowd?) With his contract going through the end of the 2008 season (with an extension being discussed during this spring training) the Sox need to address the long term backup/TEK replacement plans for the future. Obviously Dougie Fresh, at 37 doesn't fit into those plans. I predict Wake may retire after this season and once Wake is gone, it's safe to say his personal binky won't be needed any longer.
There are several catching prospects in the Sox farm system. George Kottaras in Pawtucket is 24, good offensively and has some experience catching the knuckleball, but scouts say he still needs some work on his basic catching skills - nothing that cannot be corrected though. Dusty Brown, 25 spent most of last season in double A Portland. He has a great arm and is a great defensive catcher, however he needs some work offensively.
So the Sox have some work ahead of them for sure in regards to this backup catching situation. As far as the 2008 season goes, I hope Dougie finds his way to the batting cages, works on the offensive side of his game and quits hurtin' himself running the bases. He's had better offensive seasons and what better time than now - with the Sox poised to make another Championship run - to have another one.
But bottom line, if Wake is on the mound, I want his binky behind the dish, and I'm pretty sure Wake does too.

Good stuff Amy! You're right...The catchers blackhole is something that is being contended with baseball wide right now...Sort of along the lines of starting pitchers a few years ago (When expansion arguably forced some pitchers up before they were ready for MLB). Think that Pedro ERA difference in 1999 was luck? Not at all. Anyway, I digress...we're talking catchers here. I tend to agree with you about Wake needing his "Bink" so to speak. A much more comfortable Wakefield is a much more effective Wakefield. I hope you're wrong about him retiring this year though...I kinda hope he sticks around. He's not in my very short hero list for nothing.
ReplyDeleteCouldn't agree more...I know there are naysayers and this and that about both Wakefield AND Mirabelli, but I am NOT one of them. I think having both of them on the team as a tandem is smart. Wake eats innings, and the pool of good catchers is just small as you alluded too. In fact, the lack of catchers out there right now is such that it reminds me of the watered down pitching from a few years ago, when expansion forced some pitchers on the scene before they were ready, or even if they were ready at all. Do you think the disparity of Pedro's ERA in 1999-2000 compared to the rest of the league was a fluke? Not at all. It's the same with Catchers at this point, though not from expansion. There is just this blackhole right now in the good catching department that will eventually need to be fixed. Tek's work behind the plate should not be underestimated. Nor Doug's for that matter. Anyway, I've posted entirely too much comment! I'll summarize with GREAT BLOG!
ReplyDeleteAmy,
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff! Pip & I are very proud!
Your biggest fan
Wow, Amy, you're dead on. Dougie is no dummy. He knows he is only as good as each win earned by Wake. If Dougie being here means 12-15 wins for our number 5, then we'll have a police escort for our Dougie Mendoza, I mean, Mirabelli. I look forward to reading your next installment. Well done!
ReplyDeleteLove the "pink hat crowd comment! But is definately true. Great job! I definately agree with alot you said! You do a great job writing!
ReplyDeletegood job JSOTF...I will be back for more SOX insight later...pitchers and catchers in another month...lets repeat on 08
ReplyDelete(remember Theo is probably reading this as well)
Wonderful job, Amy! I really enjoyed reading it...las you know, you have some BIG fans here.
ReplyDeleteHey Amy...I recommend you go "Live" with your blog. Check out this site for more info: feedburner.com
ReplyDelete