Saturday, June 6, 2009

Postcards from the edge of the week...

All week long I wanted to blog and now it's Saturday. So much running around in my brain in regards to this week in sports. Makes me wish I had a video blog and could just record myself spewing my thoughts. Nevermind, that doesn't sound so pretty.

So.. a bunch of sports happenings this week, I'm just going to touch on a few:

Rodney Harrison of the Patriots has finally hung up the cleats and retired. I figured, as many others did, that this was coming soon. KUDOS Rodney. Next to Troy Brown & Wes Welker, Rodney is one of my all time favorite Pats. I will miss his unrivaled competitive drive on the field. Luckily, he will be sharing his unbridled honest opinion regarding the game with the masses now that he has joined the broadcast team of the NFL on NBC. I cannot wait to hear this. His comments on Peyton Manning earlier this week already have me smiling.

I've been a Braves fan since youth. (this photo is my actual Tom Glavine baseball card from 1992) They are my NL team, and though I don't follow them like I do the RED SOX, they are close to my heart. Tom Glavine, one of my favorite players of all time - the winningest active pitcher in the major leagues - was released by the Braves on Wednesday. A shocking move which raised ire with both teammates and fans in Atlanta. This move came just after he had thrown 6 scoreless innings in a rehab start. Sure, he was coming back from elbow and shoulder surgery and he's 43, but THIS guy is the REAL DEAL - a competitor, like few others and the Braves made another cool move in screwing over their fanbase yet AGAIN this season. I hope Tommy lands with another team and does very well, just so he can show up the asshat ownership in Atlanta.

And.. lastly, but NOT LEAST for SURE!! MARK THIS DOWN. If Julio Lugo continues to play shortstop for the Boston Red Sox, he will become the new era GRADY LITTLE. HE WILL be the REASON we don't get to where we NEED TO. AKA: Win the division, stay above .500, beat the Yankees, have a shred of dignity left. I'm sorry, Julio, but this is beyond ridiculous. You will be harmed - probably by your own pitchers, for handing the game to the opposing team. You can't field ROUTINE ground balls or make everyday putouts. Nevermind the fact you can't turn a QUICK double play without your trademark hesitation and second guessing. You've been warned. You may want to spend your time making sure Jed Lowrie is doing well in his rehab. His return and Nick Green's spelling you are the only things assuring you will be able to retire to a beach somewhere on a warm island when you're 65.

Paps is still giving me heart attacks when he comes in to close out a game. Not cool. Not cool at all.

Kevin Youkilis. Is it possible for me to love you more??

Dusty Pedroia. You are my favorite player for a reason. You. Stand. On. Your. Head. Freaking Amazing.

I am very superstitious and I Did NOT like ECK talking about Beckett's no-no while it was "in progress". That said, WOW, do I love Eck. His off the cuff style, insight and honesty is awesome. I'll just not watch the next time there is a no-no happening.

Ok, so those were some of my quick thoughts on a crazy week for me, at least from a sports perspective. I've got another nutty week coming up. I'm leaving for my 2 week, cross-country driving trip to see my family in Kansas on 6/13. Luckily, we will get to stop and take in some baseball related sites along the way.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with this: I am convinced I could play short better than Lugo and I have hands smaller than a 10-year-old and the throwing range of a squirrel.

1 comment: