
Last night was a great outing for Josh Beckett - 5H, 1R, 5Ks, 1W. Truly another commanding performance which just placed more of the Nation's confidence in him, after some shaky starts.
So, there I was after the end of the 8th, relaxing on my friend's couch discussing with her how this was "awesome - he's looking good, the pen gets more rest and here comes Paps." We're all happy and feeling fine.
So, he walks Sheff. (I wish something awful had befallen Gary on his way to first, as I cannot stand him, but that is bitching left to another blog) Eh, no biggie, right.....? But then, my "built-in-Papelbon-forgetter" resets. A couple of his recent outings have been heart attack junction.
Now, per usual, I start to get tense. I would be up pacing, but I'd be blocking the TV. I'm calling pitches before the throws them - even before Eck calls them. OK, he's firing the heat - shuts down Wright & Reed on 96 mph fastballs - leaving them both looking like bewildered 5-year-olds who just watched their Dairy Queen kiddie cone fall to the ground
Ok, the heart attack potential is starting to fade here. How can you fear a backup catcher who started the season in triple A, right... right? This Santos can't have the stuff to hit Paps curve, nevermind his fastball. Right?
Allow me to use a few quotes:
Tito on Papelbon's pitch to Santos "..he mislocated, and paid for it"
Paps: ""It's not shocking because the simple fact is it's an overthrown fastball right down the middle,"
It was right. down. the. middle. And ended up right. on. the. wall. AHHHH Paps. Don't throw THAT pitch. Yes. Paps knows. We know. Santos knows. That was a gift. A nicely wrapped gift, tossed errantly and mislocated under the wrong tree on Christmas morning. (which by the way, we didn't need any replay to rub in our wound - clearly it was a HR)
I hate when we lose to the Mets.. yes, every time it brings up memories of 1986. I really dislike this heart attack central stuff with Paps. We could have dug ourselves out in the 9th and we sure did try. (surely Papelbon's crazed cheering from the dugout must have helped?) Some great defensive plays by the inept, but suddenly allstar-caliper Mets fielders sealed that.
I truly feel for Beckett. We should have won. Beckett should have another W after his name.
I heard someone say once about sports, and baseball in particular - that the best athletes are the ones who have a tough loss, go home, put it out of their minds - and show up the next day to do it all over again. Essentially forgetting the crappiness of yesterday. Papelbon said last night, "I just want to be back out there and get a chance tomorrow and pick my guys up there tomorrow. Let them know that I'm still here kicking"
I know I can learn a little from that philosophy. Amen, Paps. Let's go out and get 'em today.

You do have a gift, great job and keep it up!
ReplyDeleteyes,,...let's see more posts!! you rock! also, check out my blog :)
ReplyDeletewww.davidstubbartphotography.wordpress.com