
If you are looking for any hint of objectivity regarding David Ortiz and his super sucky slump, don't bother reading past here.
I've realized I am incapable of putting myself in Theo or Tito's shoes, as it were, and making a sound decision on what to do about Papi. See, I find myself regularly quite comfortable doing the thinking and decision making on behalf of the GM & manager of the Sox. I do it every day. Lugo? Shoot him, trip him, hit him with a bat. Anything that would assure him a long trip to the DL hopefully guaranteeing I would never have to see him make another disastrous defensive gaffe. Let Nick Green keep doing what he's doing (minus throwing 40 feet over Jeff Bailey's head) until we get Jed Lowrie back.
Ok, sorry, I got off on my Lugo tear. Lugo is another (anger fueled, long winded) blog entry, for another time.
Back to Papi...
I was at the Park on Wednesday night for the game vs. the Jays. A guy behind me struck up a conversation with me about Papi. We kicked around some theories about what might be wrong and so on.
Then, he asked me,"if this keeps up will you still cheer for him?"
I said, "Of course I will. He needs the fans behind him"
He said "ahhhh (putting his hand over his heart) you hold Ortiz right here"
Hit me like a truck! Damn. He was right. Like many other players, past and present, I have a huge emotional attachment to this guy. Someone says "trade Papi" and I feel despondent. I hear people call sports radio and rip him to shreds - "he's old, he's done, he probably juiced, he sucks." HE SUCKS? Papi and "sucks" shouldn't be in the same sentence. See how much denial I have? I know he's struggling (go ahead, tell me that's my hugest understatement ever. I can take it.). I watched him belt his first homer on Wednesday night and get damn close to hitting a second. I was filled with hope. Fueled by an epic night at Fenway, I thought.. He's back! It's on. All is well again.
Fast forward to today. I missed most of the game due to work - where I have no access to any game coverage. After catching up on my reading and highlights, I am happy to see we t'd off on the Mets. Drew went 4 for 5, Wake's binky George Kottaras practically had a career day, going 3 for 5. Everyone got a hit. Everyone except David Ortiz, who's avg. officially fell to below the "Mendoza line". I'd put a little silly sad face in here, but I'd lose any credibility I have at this point. Another o-fer for the Big Man. Yikes.
I don't know what the answer is. I don't want to see him traded, like some have suggested. I just saw an article on boston.com saying the Sox are going to move him out of the 3 spot. Ok, that makes sense. Drew in the 3 spot? Switch lefty for lefty? Papi in the 7th spot? Worth a shot.
My theory is that his wrist injury caused performance/hitting issues, which eventually turned into a mental/block issue. We know this game is so much a mental one. So, maybe a trip to Pawtucket? Take the spotlight and heat off of him - work on his swing, timing and his state of mind around his hitting . Although, thinking of him in Pawtucket makes me feel queasy. Mighty Ortiz in "the Bucket"?
I just want to see him back to a level we know he is capable of. Of course he's aged and no, a50 HR season ain't happening. But this o-fer stuff with a scattered HR here and there can't be all there is. I'm just not ready to give up on him yet.
In the meantime, until he turns it around or we find out what's causing the problem, I'll just do what I've done so far - cheer like hell when he comes up, continue to support him and sail my little boat down the river of denial.
(oh and somehow blame Lugo, too)

No comments:
Post a Comment